Wednesday, July 29, 2009

When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

I had my last chemo treatment June 18th, 2007. Had my lumpectomy %26amp; they also did lymph node dissection July 6th. My black straight hair pretty much came off 3rd week after my first chemo treatment. I had super thick hair down to my butt and I miss it. I now (July) have some noticeable fuzz on my head. It's not as course or thick as it used to be. The weird part is that my brows %26amp; eyelashes didn't start coming off until just about 2 months ago or so. Does anyone know when it may start growing back? I literally have a few strands of eyelashes left. They used to be fairly thick %26amp; long %26amp; straight. Is this experience different for every race? I'm asian. I still have to receive radiation treatment soon, not scheduled yet. And still have to receive herceptine I.V. every 3 weeks until sometime early next year. I just got some fake eyelashes %26amp; now have to try %26amp; use them. I hope I don't accidentally glue my eyes shut trying to apply that thing on. Then I'd be a blind cancer patient. LOL!!! I sincerely appreciate anyone's input and good luck to everyone out there who shares the same experience as this. THANK YOU ALL!!!



CASABLANCA



When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

Keep that spirit and wonderful sense of humor. I suspect that you are beautiful whether you have hair or not. That being said, once your chemotherapy stops than your hair will begin to grow again as it did normally. Hair grows in cycles every month so you need to wait for your normal growth cycle to kick in.



When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

Everyone's story is different, everyone' body resonds to treatment differently.



When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

My first wife went through chemo twice. Each time the hair started growing back straight away, so after a couple of months she had a decent length. I don't remember her losing eyelashes or eyebrows, just head hair. It will come back and it may well be thicker and better than before.



When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

i had cancer and if u ask me i think i looked good without hair.lol And i bet your beutiful. with or without hair. anddon't worry it does grow back :-)



When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

I finished my Chemo 15 months ago.



I remember that my hair started growing back after about 3 weeks and was fuzzy after about 5 weeks.



Eyelashes and eyebrows took a bit longer as they grow slowly and weren't noticable until nearly normal length.



It was months before I had normal hairgrowth in ears and nose! Never thought I would miss those ones but they help keep flies out in an Australian summer!



Good luck with the false eylashes, I had trouble getting them on straight, found it was easier if I held them with an eyelash curler.



When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis but agree that your upbeat spirit will win in the end so keep it up no matter how tough it gets! You are through the worst of it %26amp; you are stronger than ever since you are on the other side of the awful chemo. I had long blonde hair %26amp; lost mine about the same time as you. I started taking pre-natal vitamins after chemo to promote faster haIR growth. Not sure if it helped but it will at least help in building your immune system back up which is most important. My last treatment was the end of Dec. %26amp; I now have the same hair color, texture but only about 2-3 inches long. I ended up buying a really sexy wig that I got many compliments on so that turned out to be sort of fun at times. I didn't lose eyelashes/eyebrows until radiation. My radiation oncologist told me it was a slow reaction to the chemo but I don't know that I belive that one since the most of my hair loss was on the same side as the radiation I was receiving. I never worried about trying fake eyelashes but now my long lashes have grown back as full as before so hope for the same for you! Go to a makeup artist at the mall such as MAC %26amp; ask them for assistance in learning the easiest way to put on the lashes. They are usually very compassionate %26amp; willing to help. God Bless!!



When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

As a long time friend of casaBlanca, let me say YES she is beautiful inside and out, and YES she has a very good sense of humor!



As for the eye lashes and eye brows, my sis did not lose hers, but as you know she lost her hair. Her hair is growing back some now, but keep in mind her last chemo treatment was a few weeks ago. Now her hair is just over 2 inches long and the texture is different as well as thinner, just as most people who have been through chemo will have different texture to their hair.



My step mom went through chemo treatment too, and her hair has grown back, but there again the texture is much different, and thinner.



I am not sure if you will get the long hair you once had, but it will come back. Somebody suggested prenatal pills, I must agree, take something like that. I even mentioned it to my sister to, but I don't think she took my adivce, which have to excuse her because her mind is not all there anymore cuz of the brain cancer.



So get ya some prenatals, cuz I ain't sharing mine, the baby needs em ma! LOL Keep your chin up as always and know your always in my prayers!



When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

It took several months for my hair to grow back in, but my eyelashes came in faster. I never lost my eyebrows.



When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

EACH PATIENT RECOVERS DIFFERENTLY. YOU ARE WELL WITHIN THE NORMAL RANGE. MY HAIR CAME BACK THICKER AND COURSER



When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

Wish I could answer your question, but I was already pretty bald when I had chemo, so did not notice much hair loss! Oh well! LOL.



Don't worry about it, it's only hair. Buy a bunch of ridiculous wigs and shave your head!



When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

my experience when i took chemo, the 2nd week i started loosing my hair so i went and got a short hair cut, but it kept falling out, this was in Aug. of 2006 my hair started coming back in December (just a little fuzz) I had surgery a mastocemy, with 9 lymph nodes removed.



and reconstructive surgery (tram flap) in Feb. of 2007. in April of 2007 i had 33 treatments of radiation. its now Aug. and my hair it about an inch long now. As far as eyelashes i never lost them, but i did loose my eye brows and they have as of yet not grown back. maybe i should buy me some eyelashes and try to make myself some eye brows out of them. LOL! but as far as the hormone therapy I'm taking I've got hair growing in places I've never seen before, TAKE CARE! everything all-ways works out.



When do hair/eyelashes/brows grow back after last chemo?

I'm so sorry that you have to go through all of this. I, too, am a breast cancer survivor - I had a lumpectomy last November, then a mastectomy in March. Thankfully, I do not need to have chemo or radiation treatments.



What I do know is that everyone is individual. My hairdresser, who has been cutting hair for 20 years, has helped many a cancer patient cut her/his hair as a result of chemo. Your hair texture and color will change because of your chemo treatment. I've been taking an aromatase inhibitor so that my cancer does not mestastize - and I've noticed many more gray hairs on my head than there used to be.



Hang in there! Things will get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment