Saturday, August 1, 2009

Why do people think I'm a mix Asian when I'm not?

My parents both say that they are 100% Chinese and so I must be 100% as well. I don't feel that way since my sister and I got pretty big eyes like our dad. My mom and brother look Chinese but my dad, sister, and I are always mistaken as other ethnicities. If I get too dark like in 9th grade, people would say I'm Filipino.



If I get lighter like right now and got stylish long hair, people will say I'm Japanese. Now when people ask me what I am, I tell them to guess. They always say "some kind of mix Asian". -_-"I look similar to a girl who is half Asian and half Polish but I got no White in me... I still think I'm 100% Asian. What do you think?



Thanks for reading.



Why do people think I'm a mix Asian when I'm not?

There's no definitive look to any culture.



You get Italians who have Alpine/Northern blonde hair and blue eyes as well as really dark skinned with almost kinky-curly hair despite the stereotype of them being darker skinned and featured with wavy hair.



You have white hispanics with blonde hair and blue eyes though people typecast them as all being dark skinned with almost arabic-esque, indigenous people or Mexican.



You can even have blacks/Africans with naturally blonde hair and very light skin but they are still African/black regardless (i'm referring to Africans, not black Americans of which most are racially mixed).



You are what you feel and say you are. I can pass no judgment. Me? I'm Puerto Rican, Italian, Irish and Polish, mostly PR %26amp; Italian (45/45). I consider myself "other", or part Puerto Rican part European mutt. People want to consider me just white or just Italian (occassionally just PR/hispanic). But I feel inside and out that I'm as I identify (which does have truth to it), as mixed or other. That way I'm free of labels.



You being Chinese you are Asian. I don't see what else I would try and call you. You can't call somebody something their not.



I can call you human though, like me. :-)



Why do people think I'm a mix Asian when I'm not?

Don't worry. There are a lot of so-called 100% Asian women with large, beautiful eyes. Zahao Wei(Vicky) is one of them Feel proud.



Why do people think I'm a mix Asian when I'm not?

maybe because of your appearance..there's nothing wrong with being/looking asian!! be proud of yourself!



Why do people think I'm a mix Asian when I'm not?

I'm mixed with Asian but nobody ever told me that because I look more like white people. My mum is half Canadian, Chinese %26amp; Malay while my dad is an Irish.. Don't worry dude.. Just be proud of who you are...



Why do people think I'm a mix Asian when I'm not?

Your parents are pure Chinese, so you are pure Chinese by descent also. Not a chance being something else. People guess you look mixed because alot of people just don't know which physical features are common to which ethnicity. Each ethnicity has recessive genes.... your big eyes might just be one of those recessive genes. You are you.... a part of your family.



Why do people think I'm a mix Asian when I'm not?

There's no single thing called "Asia" except on a map. People there have all kinds of appearances. People we now call Chinese in many cases are actually descended from Miao, Zhuang, Yi, and other non-Chinese peoples who lost their native cultures and "became" Chinese. That's why there isn't a single Chinese "look." Even in the Tang Dynasty, many Turks and Persians moved to China and "became" Chinese, intermarrying with locals. In the Southwest, all kinds of non-Han peoples intermarried with Han, and those ancestry lines are lost in the mists of time. In the North, Chinese intermarried with invading Mongols, Jurchen, Liao, Xianbei, and Manchus. Who knows where your looks came from?



Why do people think I'm a mix Asian when I'm not?

It happened to me last Sunday when this guy thought that i was a chinese girl even though that i'm a malay. And there is no mixed blood in my family .



Why do people think I'm a mix Asian when I'm not?

I think no matter who or what you are, you have to be proud of your own identity.



Let me tell you something - I'm from a dying mixed race Community, the Straits Chinese (also known as Peranakan Chinese or Baba-Nyonya). Many were afraid that if we get too Westernised, then we will become an "ESC" - English-Speaking Chinese, otherwise, if we were Mandarin-wise, then we would become pure Chinese, meaning that our true culture would be diminished. So, I had no choice but to protect my own culture from dying - A heritage of Malay-influenced Chinese, only found within the areas facing the Straits of Malacca...



Why do people think I'm a mix Asian when I'm not?

My friend is chinese just like you and people think he's half asian/white, filipino, or spanish. It happens all the time getting mistaked for something your not or you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment